The property for Camp Parole, a 250 acre farm near the Annapolis-Elkridge railroad, was leased from Charles and Ann Welch at a rent of $125.00 per month. Eighty-three buildings were eventually constructed there including a hospital with approximately 170 beds. However, the amount of men sent to the camp exceeded the facilities. As many as 20,000 Union men were camped at this location at one time during the conflict.
When General Ulysses S. Grant cancelled the prisoner exchange in August 1864, Union prisoners were no longer paroled. Camp Parole continued to operate until it was closed in late June, 1865.
Let this little history lesson be a reminder to us to value human life over ambition or pride, to strive for peace at all costs, and to remember that the Present has been shaped by the events of the Past.